Gravity Diecasting Process
Gravity Diecasting Process Sometimes referred to as Permanent Mould, GDC is a repeatable casting process used for non-ferrous alloy parts, typically aluminium, Zinc and Copper Base alloys. The process differs from HPDC in that Gravity– rather than high pressure- is used to fill the mould with the liquid alloy. The process differs from HPDC in that Gravity- rather than high pressure- is used to fill the mould with the liquid alloy.
GDC is suited to medium to high volumes products and typically parts are of a heavier sections than HPDC, but thinner sections than sand casting.Gravity Diecasting Process
There are three key stages in the process.
- The heated mould [Die or Tool] is coated with a die release agent. The release agent spray also has a secondary function in that it aids cooling of the mould face after the previous part has been removed from the die.
- Molten metal is poured into channels in the tool to allow the material to fill all the extremities of the mould cavity. The metal is either hand poured using steel ladles or dosed using mechanical methods. Typically, there is a mould “down sprue” that allows the alloy to enter the mould cavity from the lower part of the die, reducing the formation of turbulence and subsequent porosity and inclusions in the finished part.
- Once the part has cooled sufficiently, the die is opened, either manually or utilising mechanical methods.
Advantages gravity diecasting
- Good dimensional accuracy
- Smoother cast surface finish than sand casting
- Improved mechanical properties compared to sand casting
- Thinner walls can be cast compared to sand casting
- Reverse draft internal pockets and forms can be cast in using preformed sand core inserts
- Steel pins and inserts can be cast in to the part
- Faster production times compared to other processes.
- Once the tolling is proven, the product quality is very repeatable.
- Outsourced Tooling setup costs can be lower than UK sand casting.
Die Casting Producer
Our makes use of computer-aided manufacturing administration to fabricate and ship die casting elements to our prospects. We manufacture components and ship the components to our prospects on time. We’ll often manufacture and ship merchandise in 4 weeks from the time the order is positioned. We’ll expedite some die secure manufacturing product shipments in loads a lot much less then two weeks. Our die strong machine sizes differ from 130 tons to 600 tons in our aluminum and zinc die casting machines. We make many types of die casting components from lower than an oz as so much as a ten pound shot.